Monday, May 12, 2008

Our secret is out!

For those of you who haven't heard, we're expecting again. Yes it's true! And..... there are 2 little ones in there!

I know, I had to take a moment to compose myself when I heard the news too.

The due dates I've heard are Christmas Day (I broke the news by telling Mike I already had his Christmas present) and January 4th.

I was so shocked it took me almost 2 weeks to tell Mike and we decided we weren't going to tell anyone else for a few months, because of our recent pregnancy experience, we're a little bit nervous, ok, maybe a lot nervous! But, I've been extraordinarily sick, imagine that, so, my secret doesn't keep very well. And one at a time, family and friends caught on to what was going on. So, the word has spread...

So soon after the miscarriage you say, I know, that's what I said too. So, here it is...

I went in for my 4 week check up after the m/c, it had not even occurred to me that I might be expecting again. Standard procedure at my midwife's office is to check weight, blood pressure and do a pregnancy test. So, the nurse did them and the test was negative, no surprise there, I told her. She threw the test in the trash (it just happened to land face up) and took me into the exam room to see the midwife.

I was in meeting with the midwife and the nurse came back in and said, "Your test wasn't as negative as we thought." Apparently, the nurse had been doing the next test, after mine and happened to look down into the trash, where my test was laying, face up, and it was now showing positive. So the nurse did another test, just to be sure, and the second was positive immediately. They ordered a blood test, just to confirm and the results of that one were positive as well. So, it was official!

Since we had no idea how far along I could be, they scheduled an ultrasound for the next week. I went in for the ultrasound while Wes was at preschool (he gets very concerned about me when he comes with me to any kind of doctor's office, so it's just better if he doesn't come). The lab tech was doing her thing and I said, "I know this is going to sound crazy, but I've been having dreams that it's twins, so, just to be sure, you're not seeing any signs of multiples, are you?"
She replied, "It's funny you should ask that, because I was just about to tell you that it looks like there are 2 in there."
I said, "You're kidding!?!"
and she said, "Nope, I'm quite serious." and she turned to monitor and showed me, sure enough, there were 2 little sacks in there.

It turns out that I was only 4 1/2 weeks along at that point, so we couldn't see heartbeats or anything, but there were 2 babies. I'm going back in for another ultrasound on the 20th, I should be about 7 1/2 weeks by then, so they'll be able to see heartbeats and make sure both are happy and healthy.

We would appreciate everyone's faith and prayers that the babies will be healthy and that all will go well. Mike and I are so excited and very nervous, especially with losing our last baby so fresh for us!

I would post the ultrasounds, but there's really nothing to see, just 2 little bubbles. When there's something more exciting, we'll post them and officially introduce our new additions! Our children are doubling and we're going to be VERY outnumbered!

8 comments:

Jenni Russell said...

SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!!! I was skeptical about posting the new additions post because of your recent situation. But this is so exciting and you will definantly be in our family prayers!!! Thanks for posting such great news!!

JoHanna said...

Wow! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How wonderful for your family. we will be praying for your family and hope all will go well!
JoHanna

Mandi said...

Congratulations Mike and Kelsey! We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. There is a lot of positive pregnancy energy in the family right now and I am sure that will help your babies. Thanks for the update.
Love, Mandi

Holmes Family said...

Kels,
Congrats! That is alot to take in. I know everything will be alright, and you are in my prayers! I'm so excited for you and hope you are feeling alright. Take care! Jess

Jake & Bec said...

Very exciting! I'm sure you are still adjusting to the idea of having twins. Congratulations! Best of luck and hope all goes well.

Marti McDAniel said...

YEAH!! Twins! Good for you guys! We'll keep you in our prayers for sure!

Brooke said...

Wow! Congrats! We will be praying for your family and the new babIES! I hope that your sickness soon subsides and that you will be able to feel peace and comfort that everything is going to be okay!

Emily said...

WOW! I hope your pregnancy goes super smooth. We'll be praying for you. Holy cow, twins. Good luck!