Saturday, June 20, 2009

My kid's amazing Dad






So in honor of Father's Day, I just want to celebrate my kid's fantastic dad! Everyone who knows him is aware of how wonderful he is, he is brilliant, hard working and very selfless, among other wonderful characteristics- but to further demonstrate his amazingness I want to talk about how he spent his evening, keep in mind- he fixes computers for a living, that fact makes this even more impressive...
His car has been experiencing some difficulty, we took it in to the shop to see what the problem was and we were informed that it needed a new distributor. Now, I honestly have no idea what the distributor is or does, but aparently it is an important part of the engine function, and it is VERY expensive to fix (we're talking more than the car is even worth)! So, Mike decided he didn't want to pay that much to have the shop fix the car; he went to work researching all about distributors and how to change one out. He looked everywhere for a good price and compared at a bunch of different places and got a great deal on the part. Then, he came home and in less than an hour, he had figured out how to remove the faulty distributor and had the new one installed and the car was running again. SUCCESS!! I am constantly amazed by him and so lucky to have him in my life! I am so glad my boys have such a wonderful example of what a father, and a man should be! I love you babe!!
I braught visuals, just for those of us that don't even know what it looks like under the hood of a car, enjoy...........
Aparently this is a distributor, yeah, it looks complex to me! To the untrained eye, this may seem like a perfectly functioning part, but as Mike pointed out to me (being the extremley untrained eye that I am) the part in the lower center of this picture is supposed to be connected to the rest of the engine.

Mike had to take the old one off, we took pictures so we could be sure and get it back on exactly the way it was supposed to be.

Eeewww, engine guts- that's disgusting! LOL

Now, sadly I was upstairs feeding Adam when Mike finished up this project, so I don't have a picture of the bright, shiny new part installed and fully functioning. But, to my delight, after just a few minutes, I heard the engine start up, signalling that the repair was complete! The boys were pretty excited about how dirty and greasy everything was, and that dad got all his tools out- what a fun project!

3 comments:

The Dollar Fam said...

I agree. I have a pretty amazing little brother. Way to go man. I knew you had it in you to get yourself greasy again.

Love ya and Happy Fathers Day.

Andy

Gram Rudd said...

Grandpa says "That's really something to be able to do it in one try! One time it took me 5 hours to even get it back in right because of the way the gears rotate it and the angle and all." He said a whole bunch of other stuff about it too that I didn't understand or remember but I could tell he was pretty impressed!

Jana said...

Ok, so I randomly looked up your info on Facebook and was DELIGHTED to see you have a blog...and EMBARRASSED to see you have a new son. Oh my! I had no idea! And we have your old crib! Eek! I really do feel bad that we have your crib!

Adam is adorable. I wish I could meet him in person. I'm glad things are going so well for you, it was fun to read the updates on the side of your blog. I really am thrilled to discover your family's blog and will be watching for updates!