Saturday, April 12, 2008

Surgery at Primary Children's

Alex had surgery yesterday up at Primary Children's Medical Center. Everything went soooooo well! We are so blessed!! Alex was such a tough guy, and so brave! We were in the waiting room, Mike working and me doing homework, and were surprised to see the surgeon come out an hour earlier than expected! I guess when they got in, things weren't as bad as they thought, so it didn't take nearly as long as they were expecting to repair everything.


Alex & Daddy played Nintendo while we were waiting for the nurse to take us back to the OR.



Here's Alex in the exam room, they gave him this "Buddy,"
they both had matching hospital jammies.

Here we are waiting for the Anesthesiologist to take Alex back, Alex was so brave!!
Alex and Buddy were practicing going to sleep for surgery, LOL


The Post-OP nurse said Alex woke up with a smile on his face, took a drink of slushee, curled up in a ball and went back to sleep. She said he was one of the best kids she'd seen (who knows if she says that to everyone, but we like to think not). She also said he was so polite, asking for, "Mommy Please" and saying, "No Thank You," when she asked if he wanted more slushee (these are the moments that make mommies so proud, and happy that all the reminding is sinking in!).

We were finally allowed to go back to recovery and see Alex. He was such a good boy.
He happily watched cartoons, drank his medicine and didn't complain much about hurting. Here's Alex & Daddy in the recovery room, watching Ben 10, see Alex's smile less than an hour after surgery...
he really is an amazing boy!


The boys were so excited when we pulled out the couch bed in the living room. We all spent the night curled up together, watching movies and drinking gatorade!

10 comments:

Lisa Henderson said...

What a good boy and so scary for you! Do you mind if I ask what the surgery was for?

Holmes Family said...

Kelsey!!!
I am finally able to leave a comment on your blog! I have been able to see your blog for the last two or three weeks, but couldn't post a comment.
I sure hope your little guy is recovering well. What did he have done?
I am so excited that we have a way to stay in touch! You look like the best mom and wife! Take care and keep in touch, Jess

Kelsey Dollar said...

To spare you the details, he had "boy surgery," it is a quite unpleasant procedure, but hopefully, now he will be able to produce the hormones properly and he probably won't be infertile. I'll bet that was more information than you wanted....

Brooke said...

You are a tough mommy! I am SO glad that everything went well. You have an adorable family!

Emily said...

Yay for leaving comments! I love your new blog background and your family picture header. Looks like Alex was great for his surgery. What a brave kid!

Kara said...

I am so glad you found me. How fun to see how much your boys have grown. I am so glad Alex's surgery went well. I so feel for the young ones when they have to do huge medical things at such a young age. I hope we can keep in touch more. By the way I changed my blog address since you left a comment. kcandthekids.blogspot.com

Annie said...

You probably don't remember me because you moved out of the Cherry Hill ward right after we moved in. I saw your blog on the Henderson's blog. Alex looks like a really happy boy and that he has a good attitude about it all. By the way, we are big breakfast people and use your breakfast recipe book all the time!

Marti McDAniel said...

I love the picture when he is practicing to go to sleep! That is just too funny! I'm glad it went good! i was thinking about you guys!

Holmes Family said...

We are going to have our blog be access only. I would like to invite you to continue to view our blog. If you want to please send an e-mail to holmesjessicamarie@yahoo.com
Jess

JoHanna said...

What a brave little boy!